Be Happy for this Moment...This Moment is Your Life.



Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Handsome boy...

This post was supposed to start out with a picture of my sweet boy with his new ID card...he's been looking forward to this milestone for 6 months, turning 10 and getting his own military ID. We prepared a power of attorney to get this done months ago in preparation, knowing Dennis would be gone for his birthday. Unfortunately, the best laid plans....


We celebrated his birthday yesterday, knowing that today would be super busy with activities and errands, went to dinner for his favorite, gnocchi...opened gifts. Blew out the candles on his cupcakes.
Today, his actual birthday, the one thing to look forward to was getting his ID. I called yesterday to verify their hours and what I would need to bring. I told them I was bringing him in after school today, as it was his birthday. He wore a special shirt, he was contemplating whether to smile or not..."did dad smile in his?" he asked me. He cleaned out his wallet when I picked him up from school in preparation.


When we get there, they were CLOSED...early today for a squadron function. Do you think that would have been something she would have mentioned to me yesterday? Saved a special trip to base and all of this disappointment? I walked my dejected child back to the car feeling so sad that the one thing special thing he was doing today was snatched from him.


So, we'll try again later this week...and they are going to get an earfull...or comment card-full. Happy birthday, anyway...sweetheart.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Man, what is so sad about that is that stuff like that is more typical than atypical. Stupid military. On another note, I'm jealous that your children will eat gnocchi. I tried it the other night and both the girls literally gagged on it. They could not force it down. We ended up with cold cereal and a pot of gnocchi in the trash. I guess I need a new sauce or new gag reflexes!

Krista said...

Oh, that is cruel to a child! Has he gotten it yet? It is such a milestone--we had a foster daughter before who turned 10 and I was able to use the ID as a reward to get all kinds of compliance! Happy Birthday Hayden! I love having you in my class!