Be Happy for this Moment...This Moment is Your Life.



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BFF on the island...

Pam has been one of my longest friends. We met on the steps at UCLA over 20 years ago. She was approachable, and I was lost. Fast friends, we ended up in each others' weddings. In fact, since living overseas, her wedding was the last time I had seen her. Her visit to Hawaii was probably one of the most anticipated things this summer. Yet, it has taken me two months to post pictures and celebrate the fun we had.

I could say that it was just too much fun...that I'm still recovering from all the fun. But, the truth is, that after the golden time of vacation-- and fun-- and laughter, real everyday life gets in the way. So, I've been amiss to share the joy she brought into our home during her short stay.

She arrived on the kids' first day of school, so I had planned some fun things for the mornings and others to include the kids after school. Right off the bat we went up to the PCC, Polynesian Culture Center. We had a great day soaking up the sun and island culture, catching up just like old times.

The next day, we went kayaking in the morning at Hickam Beach. It runs alongside the airport runway, so it's isn't unusual to catch air departures in the background.

That same day, after the kids were out of school, we took advantage of Hayden's recent sailing instruction. He took both of us and the other kids out around the harbor, showing off his mad skills. Pam said it was one of her best memories.

Dennis went with us one day to Waikiki, on an underwater adventure in a submarine. We went nearly 100 feet down and saw some cool sights...turtles and fish.

Since Pam had been to Hawaii several times, I tried to show her some things she may not have seen before. We took her to Pali lookout, where it's always windy, but an amazing view of the east side of the island.

On her last day, we made it to the Arizona Memorial. It was the first time our family had been there. It was an amazing place to spend a morning. We watched a historical video and took the boat out to the memorial. (I think this was McKenna's favorite part!)

These five short days meant so much to me. Unable to live close to family, for a short time she brought memories and a sense of "home" that we have missed being away from those we love.

Sweet Pam is a kindergarten teacher, and she embodies that in every sense of the word. She is the most sincere and open person I have ever met. She engaged my children, treated my husband like an old friend, and won over my friends from church.

My only regret from this visit is that it wasn't long enough, though she left promising to return next year. With some of the tourist stuff out of the way, I'll look forward to more long chats and enjoying each other's company. Because over all, she definitely wet my appetite for more. We welcome our visitors. Book your tickets now!

No comments: