Here's a not-so-short summary of the past couple of weeks:
Our flight from Germany to Indiana was mostly uneventful...all except the lugging of the carry on luggage through each leg of our journey. We're living out of 8 suitcases for 3-4 months...Really. Normally, we probably would have had 2 less suitcases and 3 less carry-ons...really.
Boy, we got off the airplane in South Bend, and were hit with a wave of humidity, that didn't let up until we got back on the plane a week later. I don't know how those farm boys do it...out on those tractors in that heat and humidity...no shorts or tank tops. I'd melt, I tell you.
Dennis's mom and sister were able to come out and meet us those first few days. That was really nice for the family. We tried to stay cool and have a good visit. Breakfast each day and walks through the park and the mall...giggling in the library. It ended much to soon.
We spent the rest of the week visiting Dennis's hometown friends and family. It is amazing to see the kids all growing up and families change. Dennis enjoyed catching up, and the rest of us were treated like family as well. Sabrina even had a couple of admirers...
I also got to walk through Walmart, all out of sorts because of so much stuff and not knowing where to find anything. Hayden ran back from the toy department, amazed at the size of the section "just for kids, mom!!" He found his elusive Bakugon and added to his collection.
Then we flew out for Denver, so glad to be back in the drier air and beautiful mountain range. We had a nice weekend with my dad before Dennis had to renew his Colorado driver's license and we headed to Utah. FYI, his USAREUR license transferred too, so it was extremely painless...
I thought that I'd implode if I didn't hit a Target within 24 hours, but I just made it...again, lots of walking around aimlessly, overwhelmed by all the stuff I'd want if I had a home...or 6 more suitcases.
Our trip to Utah was a fun one...relaxing, with lots of time spent with my family. We stayed with my brother, Chuck, so the kids got to spend lots of time with cousins. We spent a day at the Hill AFB Aerospace museum, had a BBQ for 4th of July...fireworks in the street, swimming with the cousins, dirt biking with Jason's family, and more shopping. The girls and I spent evenings doing hair, pedicures, and makeup. I finally got used to the time zone changes. The kids are glued to the Disney channel and fell in love with Arby's and Wendy's.
We were able to spend some time every other day with my grandma in the nursing home. It was good to see her, yet hard at the same time. It was hard to leave not knowing if I'd see her again.
We are now back in Denver for the last leg of our homeless journey...visiting my dad, and my mom flew in for our last few days. We leave this week, and it will be bittersweet, leaving family again. We are sad to be leaving, but excited to be moving on, getting settled and setting up a new home. The offer's out to come visit us, though...I mean, it's Hawaii, really!!

2 comments:
It really sounds like you are having the ultimate USA experience while you are there. I'm a bit jealous. McKenna still prays that your McKenna will come back "where she belongs". Safe travels! Oh, I finally got the friends album you made for me. Love it! thanks so much!
There is at least one Target in Hawaii--I am so jealous. That is probably the hardest culture shock--know you don't have to buy the instant you see it because it will be there when you come back! And the Wendy's and Arby's...you make me cry. Next year we go back for a family reunion, so I will have my fill. Glad you got to visit about everyone! Have you heard from the Posts?
Post a Comment