Be Happy for this Moment...This Moment is Your Life.



Sunday, December 6, 2009

Welcome the holidays!

I think that the ushering in of the holidays may help me feel more settled here. We had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving...I decorated for fall, Sabrina helped me cook (although next year we'll put SUGAR in the pumpkin pie...), and I even braved the Black Friday crowds. Those price matching policies at the main stores and the BX saved me some money and a ton of running around.

It's the 1st of December, and while I was worried that being in Hawaii would hinder feeling the holiday spirit, we are all decorated for Christmas, and feeling a bit jovial. I've spent the past week or so getting ready for a holiday craft fair. I haven't started my Christmas cards yet, but I'm making some for the fair, so hopefully will get them all knocked out at the same time. I even have nearly all of the Christmas shopping done and everything wrapped. Way ahead of past years...That's how this post was supposed to go...all gingerbread and holiday glee...yeah, right...

Then, I headed out yesterday to finish some last minute errands, mail packages, exchange some items. First, my morning took way longer than I had planned to get out the door...

Then, at the post office...I had put 3 packages in flat rate boxes that the helpful clerk informed me were going to cost more than if I had used regular boxes. So, he handed me some so I could repackage them. I had also apparently used the wrong customs form...yes, the same form I used for the last 6 years to send packages FROM Germany was not allowed to send packages TO Germany. When all was said and done, I nearly ran out of there...on to the next stop.

Braving the mall, I spent almost 2 hours in Ross, scouring the racks for specific items, including a costume for Sabrina for her role as Mary in the nativity at the Christmas party (they don't sell very many long, humble, tunic-type dresses these days), standing in line, then getting to the register and realizing my credit card was gone. Having used it at the post office, I HOPED it was there.

I rushed out of Ross to check my car seat where I had put the post office receipts and try to track it down. It wasn't in the car and, of course, they weren't answering their phones. So, I had to call a head office, in a different building, where a woman took my information. Still unsettled at the possibilities that I left it there or could have dropped it, and a random stranger was finishing his Christmas shopping on my dime, I called Dennis to head over there....5 minutes til they closed. He called the post office first, spoke to the same employee I did, who assured him that none of the clerks remembered anyone leaving a card.

At this point it is 2 hours until our church Christmas Party, where Sabrina was Mary, both Hayden and McKenna were singing, and I was charged with providing part of the dinner...

I called the woman at the post office back, got her voicemail and proceeded to give detailed information on the clerk, time of day, how he kept my card in front of him, and "handed me my receipt, but no card, as I rushed out the door." After leaving this message, I decided to AGAIN scour around the car seat, dump my purse, and tear apart the center console, where I noticed...yes, here it comes...the card had fallen flat against a CD. Relieved that it was secure, I made yet one more phone call to that poor woman at the post office and left the most apologetic message that all was well, and profusely thanked her for her time and service.

Next, I made one more stop before heading home where I handed out the items from Ross and noticed I was missing a bag. I checked the car...no bag. Really...no bag. I know what you're thinking, but it really wasn't there. So, I called Ross. They were still slammed, and she said there wasn't anything around the customer service desk, but if I called back in another hour, they might slow down enough for her to look around.

So, I rushed my family to get ready, dropped them off at the church, and headed back to the mall. 20 minutes later, after circling the parking lot for a spot, having stood in the customer service line, and saying multiple prayers, I was the reunited with my shopping bag, which had a huge note on it, "CUSTOMER LEFT IN SHOPPING CART." Yay! I was so grateful, and took a moment to thank God and promise I would slow down...this is the message I received loud and clear! Again, all was well.

I made it back to the party before anyone performed, even before dinner was started. McKenna was a little warm, and a little clingy, but all in all, it went well.

Today, we were all ready for church relatively on time...not too much hassle, everyone looking good. We get to church and I noticed that McKenna barely touched her pop tart. She said she was full...whatever. We are just about 3 minutes late, still making announcements. I barely put my rear end in the pew (of course, nearer to the front than I normally sit), sit her on my lap, when she turns to me with her hand up by her mouth and starts to cry.

I KNOW that look...we make a bee line for the bathroom, my hand in ready position by her mouth just in case, and barely make it to the trash can in the hall...I say barely because none made it to the floor, but my hand and the front of her new black velvet dress weren't so lucky. Yes, most made it in the trash. I now had to go back into Sacrament to collect my kids and belongings, where Sabrina decided she'd stay, so I had to find her a ride home. I hope they were all thinking "that poor mom" and not "I wish that lunatic would take her seat and quit walking up and down the aisle."

McKenna seemed to be ok by dinner time. I don't know if it was too much from last night, or what. I took the kids out just before dinner to take pictures for our Christmas card, and they turned out pretty well. This one looks like it is in front of a picture, but this ethereal sunset background is very real. And, I'm typing on here instead of finishing my Christmas cards...

So, that was my weekend. What did I say? Welcome the holidays? What was I thinking? If it continues like this, I might have to Bah Humbug!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Happy Holiday?! Yeah right. I sure hope THAT was your hard week and it will be smooth sailing from here on out! I'm busy this week planning the RS Christmas party, sure wish you were here to be my buddy. You just get it!